Wimbledon Canceled for First Time Since WWII Due to Virus

France Nouvelles Nouvelles

Wimbledon Canceled for First Time Since WWII Due to Virus
France Dernières Nouvelles,France Actualités
  • 📰 THR
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 33 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 17%
  • Publisher: 53%

For the first time since World War II, Wimbledon has been canceled

Wimbledon was canceled Wednesday because of the novel coronavirus pandemic, the first time since World War II that the oldest Grand Slam tennis tournament won't be played.

Wimbledon was first held in 1877 and has been contested every year since, with the exception of two stretches: from 1915 to 1918 because of World War I, and from 1940 to 1945 because of World War II. That includes the Tokyo Olympics — which have been pushed back 12 months — and the NCAA men's and women's college basketball tournaments.

In a statement last week, the All England Club said that postponing the two-week event would not come "without significant risk and difficulty" because of the grass surface. The club also said then that it already had ruled out "playing behind closed doors" without spectators.

Nous avons résumé cette actualité afin que vous puissiez la lire rapidement. Si l'actualité vous intéresse, vous pouvez lire le texte intégral ici. Lire la suite:

THR /  🏆 411. in US

France Dernières Nouvelles, France Actualités

Similar News:Vous pouvez également lire des articles d'actualité similaires à celui-ci que nous avons collectés auprès d'autres sources d'information.

Wimbledon canceled over coronavirus concernsWimbledon canceled over coronavirus concernsNEW: Wimbledon has been canceled for 1st time since WWII due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Lire la suite »

Wimbledon canceled for first time since World War II due to coronavirus outbreak in UKWimbledon canceled for first time since World War II due to coronavirus outbreak in UKThis year will be the first time Wimbledon hasn't crowned a champion since the tournament paused between 1940 and 1945 due to World War II.
Lire la suite »

Coronavirus live updates: Wimbledon canceled due to pandemicCoronavirus live updates: Wimbledon canceled due to pandemicBREAKING: United Kingdom's death toll climbs to 2,352—an increase of 563 in the past 24 hours, the country's highest single-day rise in fatalities since the pandemic began.
Lire la suite »

Wimbledon Canceled Due to Coronavirus ConcernsWimbledon Canceled Due to Coronavirus ConcernsWimbledon has been struck off the spring 2020 calendar due to concerns about the coronavirus.
Lire la suite »

Wimbledon Has Officially Been Canceled Due to CoronavirusWimbledon Has Officially Been Canceled Due to CoronavirusWimbledon has been canceled due to “public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic,' according to the All England Lawn Tennis Club.
Lire la suite »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 20:44:16