Ribble Valley mum injured in Manchester Arena bombing recalls horrific scenes as victims 'waited hours' for help
A survivor of the Manchester Arena bombing recalled the “horrific” scenes as victims waited for help.
Andrea, 58, is among those and she told of her shock at the lack of preparation and response. She believes the bombing itself was “preventable” and that the delayed emergency response “badly let down” those inside the arena. “I made it clear that a massive emergency response was needed immediately, as I thought around 30 people had been killed by a single bomb but that there were no firearms involved.
Operational commander Dan Smith went on to decide that non-specialist paramedics should not be deployed into the venue’s City Room foyer, the scene of the explosion. Sir John said had he spoken to the first of only three paramedics to enter the City Room or a police chief at the scene then he would have been informed they regarded it as “safe enough” to work in.
As the post-attack “golden hour” ended, the emergency response had failed to achieve effective evacuation, he continued. Just after midnight there were still 36 casualties waiting to be taken to hospital – with 29 seriously injured – and it was not until 2.50am on May 23 the final casualty departed. Nicola Brook, a solicitor from Broudie Jackson Canter who represents five Manchester Arena victims’ families, including the family of Saffie-Rose, said: “This damning report reveals what the families knew all along, that all the organisations meant to protect their loved ones failed on an enormous and unfathomable scale. To compound the families’ pain, they were then forced to listen to denials, excuses and finger-pointing rather than admissions of the terrible mistakes made.
The initial command of the incident was taken by Greater Manchester Police’s force duty officer, Inspector Dale Sexton, but he “quickly became overburdened by the number of tasks he had to undertake”, the report found. Sir John said: “This had a direct impact on the effectiveness of the emergency response. It affected who received information, what resources were made available and the decisions of other commanders.
Sir John said the evidence was “conclusive” there was no possibility that 20 of the 22 victims could have survived the “murderous actions” of Abedi, referred to sparingly by his initials in the 874-page report. He said: “In the case of John Atkinson, his injuries were survivable. Had he received the care and treatment he should have, it is likely he would have survived. It is likely that inadequacies in the emergency response prevented his survival.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s Chief Fire Officer, Dave Russel, appeared to become emotional as he said the service’s response to the bombing will “forever be a matter of deep regret for our service”. Daren Mochrie, chief executive of North West Ambulance Service , said: “On occasions like this, the word sorry has the risk of sounding hollow. Nevertheless, I want to make it clear that while our actions were well-intentioned, we apologise wholeheartedly for our failures.
France Dernières Nouvelles, France Actualités
Similar News:Vous pouvez également lire des articles d'actualité similaires à celui-ci que nous avons collectés auprès d'autres sources d'information.
Youngest victim of Manchester Arena attack was 'badly let down by emergency services', father saysThe eight-year-old child was carried off on a makeshift stretcher made from 'cardboard' which was 'full of blood from somebody else'.
Lire la suite »
Manchester Arena attack: Response was all wrong, survivor saysA man who fought to save a victim of the 2017 Manchester bombing says 'big mistakes' were made.
Lire la suite »
A second report into the Manchester Arena terror attack is published todayVictim's families, politicians and survivors of the attack are all expected to react to the lengthy report
Lire la suite »
Manchester Arena attack: Response was all wrong, survivor saysA man who fought to save a victim of the 2017 Manchester bombing says 'big mistakes' were made.
Lire la suite »
Manchester Arena report latest: Report to rule on whether two deaths could have been preventedLive updates as a report is set to be released at 2.30pm on the emergency services' response to the Manchester Arena attack; it will rule on whether deaths of eight-year-old Saffie-Rose Roussos and 28-year-old John Atkinson could have been prevented.
Lire la suite »