Four Years Ago, Mike Pence Hated Presidential Overreach

France Nouvelles Nouvelles

Four Years Ago, Mike Pence Hated Presidential Overreach
France Dernières Nouvelles,France Actualités
  • 📰 YahooNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 48 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 23%
  • Publisher: 59%

Four years ago, Mike Pence hated presidential overreach. This week he piped up to defend it. What happened?

Vice President Mike Pence looked uncomfortable. President Donald Trump had just announced his power was “total,” that the president has “the ultimate authority” over the states at Monday’s White House coronavirus task force briefing. Pence was asked whether he agreed. The vice president shifted uncomfortably, looked straight ahead and dutifully delivered his talking points.

For his entire previous political career, six terms in Congress and four years as governor, Pence vociferously dug in, in deeply principled terms, against what he saw as overreach from the White House and Washington. In defending Trump’s claims of absolute power, Pence bucked a career-long ideological commitment to federalism—one he ardently espoused in speeches, op-eds and interviews with journalists.

Story continues“Federalism explains a great deal of American exceptionalism and the extraordinary progress of economic growth and influence of our nation over the past 200 years,” Pence said in a June 2014 speech to the Federalist Society in Indianapolis. I believe that reinvigorating federalism in this country is essential to restoring the fortunes of our nation.

“What happened to the guy that fought for the Medicaid waiver?” Tom LoBianco, the vice president’s biographer, asked me. “He fought for two years on that.”

Nous avons résumé cette actualité afin que vous puissiez la lire rapidement. Si l'actualité vous intéresse, vous pouvez lire le texte intégral ici. Lire la suite:

YahooNews /  🏆 380. in US

France Dernières Nouvelles, France Actualités

Similar News:Vous pouvez également lire des articles d'actualité similaires à celui-ci que nous avons collectés auprès d'autres sources d'information.

Exclusive: Democrats, furious with Trump, much more keen to vote now than four years ago - Reuters/IpsosExclusive: Democrats, furious with Trump, much more keen to vote now than four years ago - Reuters/IpsosWhen Republicans in Wisconsin pushed through state elections last week in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic, Jessica Jaglowski donned a protective mask and headed for the ballot box, determining her best shot at self-preservation was not to stay home but to vote Republicans out of office.
Lire la suite »

Bill Gates Warned of a Global Pandemic Five Years Ago. Why Isn't He Running the Coronavirus Task Force?Bill Gates Warned of a Global Pandemic Five Years Ago. Why Isn't He Running the Coronavirus Task Force?'This is the voice of reason that should be leading the country's response to the current pandemic—not the erratic, combative, self-centered Trump, the robotically obsequious Mike Pence or the comically unqualified Jared Kushner.'
Lire la suite »

'She's All That' Came Out 21 Years Ago, So Here Are Side-By-Sides Of The Cast Then Vs. Now'She's All That' Came Out 21 Years Ago, So Here Are Side-By-Sides Of The Cast Then Vs. Now'Kiss meeee, beneath the milky twilight…'
Lire la suite »

A Child Star Was Murdered in this House 30 Years Ago and New Owners Still Feel a Dark PresenceA Child Star Was Murdered in this House 30 Years Ago and New Owners Still Feel a Dark Presence'The house had a bad energy since we moved in,' says current owner, Francisco Bernal
Lire la suite »

Four US sailors assigned to French aircraft carrier hit by coronavirus outbreak now in quarantineFour US sailors assigned to French aircraft carrier hit by coronavirus outbreak now in quarantineFour US military personnel that were assigned to a French aircraft carrier that experienced an outbreak of the coronavirus have been placed into quarantine in France, two US defense officials tell CNN.
Lire la suite »

Australia to retain coronavirus curbs for at least another four weeksAustralia to retain coronavirus curbs for at least another four weeksAustralia will retain curbs on public movement for at least four more weeks, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Thursday, dashing speculation the sustained low growth in new cases could spur a quicker return to normal.
Lire la suite »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 16:47:12