Turkey expects the United States to keep its promises and not use stalling tacti...
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan speaks during a meeting in Istanbul, Turkey, October 19, 2019. Mustafa Kamaci/Presidential Press Office/Handout via REUTERS
ANKARA - Turkey expects the United States to keep its promises and not use stalling tactics in a deal between the NATO allies for Ankara to pause its offensive into northeastern Syria while the Kurdish fighters it is targeting withdraw, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday. Ankara and Washington agreed on Thursday to a five-day truce in northeastern Syria to allow the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia to withdraw from a “safe zone” that Turkey aims to establish. Erdogan has said the offensive will resume if the withdrawal is not complete within the five days.
Speaking at an event in Istanbul, Erdogan said he had told the European Union countries and the U.S. delegation with which he struck the deal that Turkey would resume the operation if the deal faltered.
France Dernières Nouvelles, France Actualités
Similar News:Vous pouvez également lire des articles d'actualité similaires à celui-ci que nous avons collectés auprès d'autres sources d'information.
Erdogan says Turkey to resume Syria offensive if truce deal faltersPresident Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday Turkey would press on with its offensi...
Lire la suite »
Syria-Turkey ceasefire: Live updatesOfficials on the ground told CNN that as of Saturday the ceasefire between Syria and Turkey is not holding.
Lire la suite »
Turkey wants Syrian forces to leave border areas, Erdogan aide saysUnder an agreement between the U.S. and Turkey, a five-day cease-fire is en effect to allow Kurdish fighters to pull back from border areas.
Lire la suite »
Pompeo defends deal brokered with Turkey to 'pause' military operations in SyriaJUST IN: GStephanopoulos: 'The Turks said they got everything they wanted.' Sec. of State Mike Pompeo: 'I was there. It sure didn't feel that way when we were negotiating ... we achieved the outcome that President Trump sent us to achieve.'
Lire la suite »
Secretary Mike Pompeo defends deal brokered with Turkey to temporarily halt military operations in SyriaIt's worked so far,' Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday, adding that he had just received a report from his senior advisers that indicated that there is relatively little fighting still in Syria. The U.S. and Turkey reached an agreement on Thursday to 'pause' Turkey's
Lire la suite »
Syria-Turkey ceasefire: Live updatesThe largest withdrawal of US troops from Syria is now underway. US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said the forces will be repositioned in Iraq, though another official described their location as fluid
Lire la suite »