Asylum ban doesn't apply to potentially tens of thousands of migrants, federal judge rules

France Nouvelles Nouvelles

Asylum ban doesn't apply to potentially tens of thousands of migrants, federal judge rules
France Dernières Nouvelles,France Actualités
  • 📰 latimes
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 47 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 22%
  • Publisher: 82%

A San Diego judge rules the Trump administration was misapplying policy to migrants who'd arrived at southern border before the ban took effect but were told to wait in line

A San Diego federal judge on Tuesday ruled that the Trump administration’s so-called asylum ban does not apply to migrants who had already been waiting in line in Mexican border cities for their official chance to ask for protections in the U.S. when the policy took effect in mid-July.

In issuing the order, U.S. District Judge Cynthia Bashant emphasized she was not being asked to rule on the legality of the asylum ban — that question is being handled in other lawsuits — nor was she being asked to make determinations as to the merits of asylum claims. Rather, this was a question of whether the government was applying its own policy correctly.

Attorneys for the government had argued that the asylum ban applies to all those who are arriving to the U.S. — officially entering the port of entry’s turnstiles — not those waiting in Mexico. But Bashant had already rejected that interpretation of “arriving” in an earlier order. “The wording of the asylum ban is clear. ... The government’s position that the asylum ban applies to those who attempted to enter or arrived at the southern border seeking asylum before July 16, 2019 contradicts the plain text of their own regulation,” the judge wrote.

Nous avons résumé cette actualité afin que vous puissiez la lire rapidement. Si l'actualité vous intéresse, vous pouvez lire le texte intégral ici. Lire la suite:

latimes /  🏆 11. in US

France Dernières Nouvelles, France Actualités

Similar News:Vous pouvez également lire des articles d'actualité similaires à celui-ci que nous avons collectés auprès d'autres sources d'information.

San Diego developer Doug Manchester the subject of possible 'pay-to-play' in failed Trump nominationSan Diego developer Doug Manchester the subject of possible 'pay-to-play' in failed Trump nominationDeveloper and former Union-Tribune publisher was asked for $500,000 donation as Senate confirmation languished
Lire la suite »

Boy who survived shooting that killed five family members in San Diego is in critical conditionBoy who survived shooting that killed five family members in San Diego is in critical conditionThe couple at the center of the fatal shooting were estranged, police said, and the woman had obtained a temporary restraining order against the man.
Lire la suite »

Mother killed in San Diego murder-suicide endured months of harassment and threats, court records showMother killed in San Diego murder-suicide endured months of harassment and threats, court records showIn the days before her death, the harassment Sabrina Rosario's husband had subjected her to since she filed for divorce became so extreme she decided to request a restraining order, she said in court documents.
Lire la suite »

Asylum limits won't apply to migrants at US border before mid-July, judge rulesAsylum limits won't apply to migrants at US border before mid-July, judge rulesMigrants waiting at the US-Mexico border before mid-July should not be subject to new Trump administration asylum limits, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.
Lire la suite »

U.S. to change migration rules in a bid to send asylum seekers elsewhereU.S. to change migration rules in a bid to send asylum seekers elsewhereThe Trump administration is set to harden the rules this week on those allowed t...
Lire la suite »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 15:16:11